HAVANA, Cuba, Aug 16 (ACN) The Cuban Foreign Ministry denounced the negative impact of the prohibitions established in the United States for the regular and institutional sending of remittances to the Caribbean nation.
In his official Twitter account, the general director for the United States at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Carlos Fernández de Cossío, said that as a result of that policy, up to 30 dollars are being paid for every 100 sent, according to Prensa Latina news agency.
However, when the official channel operated between the Western Union company, in charge of processing them, and the Cuban counterpart company, Fincimex, the commission for the U.S. firm was five dollars for a transfer of 100, he said.
According to Fernandez de Cossio, the current situation is the result of the prohibition established by Washington in October 2020 to harm the operations between both countries, based on regulations of the Office for the Control of Foreign Assets.
On November 23 of last year, the payment of remittances from the United States to Cuba through Western Union ceased, and the 407 payment points that made up the network of that firm on the island also ceased to operate, the source said.
Fincimex reiterated that the interruption of the service was the sole and exclusive responsibility of the U.S. government.
On Saturday, Ernesto Soberón, the Foreign Ministry's general director of Consular Affairs and Attention to Cubans Residing Abroad, assured that those who try to accuse the SLA of being responsible for the obstacles to remittances from the U.S. country are lying.
In this regard, he said that Washington limits the amounts and prevents legal and safe channels for donations and bank transfers to the Caribbean nation.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bruno Rodríguez, stated last July 22 that the United States kidnaps the remittances sent by Cuban-Americans to their relatives here and that the White House uses this sensitive issue as a political weapon against the Cuban people.